NSW Slalom Series 2011-12
The final event of the new “Slalom Tour” took place at the new North Kyeemagh car park on Botany Bay, Sydney. 22 hopefuls make the trek to compete in what was a very encouraging 15-20knot NE forecast.
With the wind settling in beautifully down the bay, a simple figure course was set with the fleet divided into 2 heats per round. Unfortunately the wind never settled at the north end of the bay, but continued to send down spurts of wind, which varied in direction by 20-30degrees – not exactly perfect Slalom conditions! Anyway after finally getting the 2 seeding heats away and the Silver race, the Gold race was run to complete the Round and give the event a result. Professional Danish (Now Aussie) racing specialist (Jesper Vesterstrom DEN-111) took the bullet, with Local Frenchman (Remi Dunoyer) using sparkling new Maui sail in 2nd and Nick Austen (AUS-151) in 3rd.
No other racing was possible after the final as the wind turned off for the day.
Congratulations to the new NSW Slalom Champion for 2011-12, Brett Morris (AUS-8) who proved that consistency is the key to picking up trophies in the new “series” format.
Some points of interest about the Slalom Series in its debut format/season.
– A total of 31 competitors competed over the 4 events,
– There were 7 new competitors to the race circuit.
– Alex Halank AUS-2001 was the youngest competitor at 10yrs old.
– The smallest fleet of the series was ironically when it was really windy (30+knot SE).
– Racing in Heats of 10 people is much generally fairer and more fun.
– Cancelling an event on the morning is better than running it in sub standard conditions.
A huge thanks to the people who helped get the series off the ground and everyone who embraced the “learn as we go” attitude that was paramount to the enjoyment of the events.
Results are on www.tour-windsurfingnsw.com
Reminder about the BIG event at Hawks Nest in a couple of weeks! (28Jan-04Feb12).
www.fw-australia.com ,for all the information and on-line entry if you have not done yet.