New Covid-19 recommendations from NSW Health for sailing clubs came into force on Wednesday 19th August.
- Cease activities that result in the mixing of participants and staff from different regions, for example by ceasing racing, regattas and regional or state championships or competitions.
- Inter-regional mixing include activities which bring together participants (including spectators and officials) from organisations in different regions of Sydney, from a rural area into a metro area and vice versa, and movement between different rural areas
- For water-based sports in Greater Sydney (i.e. Sydney Harbour or beach-based sports), NSW Health have requested that there should be at least three (3) ‘regions’, determined by the SSO/SSOD, but ideally more.
- Cease any activities that result in overnight stays (e.g. multi-day regattas, training camps) due to increased risk of COVID transmission in residential-type settings with shared facilities.
- Cease face-to-face social activities relating to community sports (e.g. award ceremonies, BBQs, end-of-season social gatherings, post-training group dinners, open-days)
- Avoid carpools or bus travel with people from different household groups where possible.
- For local activities, limit spectators to one parent only, where the child requires parental supervision during the sporting activity.
Australian Sailing has defined the regions, which are listed here: Click here for the determined regions for sailing
Basically Sydney Harbour is split into 4 regions, and then there is Pittwater, Botany Bay, Port Hacking, Wollongong / Illawarra, Central Coast, Lake Macquarie and Newcastle / Hunter. The recommendation is that you sail at your local club only, and don’t mix with other sailors from different “regions”.
NSW Health anticipates that these recommendations will need to be in place for the next 6 weeks until the end of September.
They say clubs should consider contingency plans for regattas or events scheduled for the October Long Weekend in case the recommendations need to remain in place for longer than 6 weeks.
More information is here https://www.sailingresources.org.au/covid-19/nsw/